Heavy on promises, light on realism and likelihood of fulfilling most.
At the “hallowed ground” as he described a Civil War landmark, Donald Trump made a strange speech today. Many have been worried that his campaign may lead the USA into a civil war, so the fact that he is speaking at the site of one of the largest battles, where the most casualties occurred was a little unnerving for those of us that know history.
Promising to look forward into the future, he quickly contradicted himself as he started to recite all his grievances against those that have wronged him so far…
Threatening to sue almost 12 women that have come forward so far with multiple accusations of sexual misconduct, attempted rape, groping and forcefully kissing them “after the election” and “the media” who have apparently poisoned the minds of American voters.. Without evidence he also accused the DNC of being responsible for the women coming out to accuse him. The Clinton campaign have already responded saying “that is just not accurate”.
Most of these women have multiple witnesses and dates, some have photographic or video evidence.
“Every woman lied when they came forward to hurt my campaign. Total fabrication…” “All of these liars will be sued after the election is over”
He said that the media is minimising the amount of supporters at his rallies, and again said they are “corrupt”.
“It is my privilege to be here in Gettysburg, hallowed ground where so many lives were given in service to freedom, amazing place”
“I’m not a politician, and have never wanted to be one. But when I saw the trouble our country was in, I knew I couldn’t stand by and watch any longer. Our country has been so good to me, I love our country, I felt I had to act,” – Donald J. Trump
“Change has to come from outside this broken system. The fact that the Washington establishment has tried so hard to stop our campaign is only more proof that our campaign represents the kind of change that only arrives once in a lifetime,” – Donald J. Trump, stealing Melania’s speech writing technique of stealing from the Obama’s.
“I am asking you to dream big.”
Donald Trump promises a “contract with the American voter”, reminiscent of the.. Temporary Prime Minister of Australia, Tony Abbott.
Donald Trump – “on the first day of my term of office, my administration will immediately pursue the following six measures to clean up the corruption and special interest collusion in Washington, DC”
- FIRST, propose a Constitutional Amendment to impose term limits on all members of Congress;
– Interesting, but not sure what this will do to help the USA, except get rid of some very experienced members of Congress. Forced retirement is not a great thing, and may even fall afoul of anti discrimination laws.
Also, his running mate Mike Pence would not be allowed to continue working.
- SECOND, a hiring freeze on all federal employees to reduce federal workforce through attrition (exempting military, public safety, and public health);
– A strange libertarian sort of concept, a vague nod to “reducing big government”, trying to appeal to conservative Libertarians.
- THIRD, a requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated;
– Puzzling, Bizarre, probably impossible to actually implement this one. “We need to clean up the Zombie Problem, so we’ll just get rid of the ADA and Clean Water Act!”
- FOURTH, a 5 year-ban on White House and Congressional officials becoming lobbyists after they leave government service;
– This is one I would actually agree with him on, again though, implementation will be difficult; will they compensate the officials for potential lost income? Far too often though an elected official will help company X, and suddenly “retire from politics” and be on the board of said company
- FIFTH, a lifetime ban on White House officials lobbying on behalf of a foreign government;
– Except for diplomatic alliances and similar, I’m fairly sure this would be part of the oath of office anyway, and if not, I can not think of any “White House Official” who if they had done such a thing, would not be fired, charged with treason or similar depending on what their lobbying caused or effected.
- SIXTH, a complete ban on foreign lobbyists raising money for American elections.
– Another one I would agree with, and should be in the law books already, this would be a realistic or achievable goal.
Seemingly forgetting what the T for Treaty means, wants to renegotiate or cancel the NAFTA treaty, withdraw from the TPP, “label china as a currency manipulator”, forcefully stop “trade abuses”, lift all restrictions on coal mining, fracking and other dangerous fossil fuels that will harm the United States’ environment, restart the Keystone XL pipeline project and cancel payments to the UN for their “climate change programs”.
A little more ridiculous now, “cancel very unconstitutional executive action, memorandum and order issued by President Obama”, replace the deceased Justice Scalia – something that should have already occurred but has been blocked by the GOP, cancel federal funding to “Sanctuary Cities” where refugees may need the extra help, deport 2 million “illegal immigrants” and worst of all, suspend all immigration from “terror-prone” regions – this is probably one of the most cruel though that is quite hard to choose with all the cruel promises so far.
Donald Trump does not seem to understand that the President is not an overruling King or Emperor/ Dictator that can carry out all these measures as he sees fit – Barack Obama wanted to change a lot of the USA and has been criticised for not following through on many of his promises for change. Guantanamo Bay remains open, and many other of Barack Obama’s promises or campaign for change has not occurred. Each bill must pass, the democratic process must be followed. It is as if Donald Trump does not even understand basic Civics let alone how to govern.